Accept your work study award. Once you accept your award, and complete all outstanding financial document requests, you will get an email from FSU (within 2-3 days) with a link to our job portal and a copy of your work study authorization (FWS Authorization) form.
1. Search for a job
We encourage students to apply for jobs that align with their field of study or career goals. You may choose on-campus jobs (departments, student union, library, etc.) or community service jobs that may be off-campus
2. Apply and Interview
On campus jobs
- Online job portal
- If you are applying for a job advertised on the online job portal, you will be required to upload your FWS Authorization form, and you may choose to upload a resume (recommended). The department will contact you for an interview.
- Review the job listings in our FSU online job portal, and complete the application.
- Make note of the Contact information as you will also need to contact the agency directly to set up an interview
- Take your FWS Authorization Form to you interview
- When you are hired, the agency will complete the Authorization form – bring it to the FSU Office of Financial Aid Work Study office
- Don’t start work until your payroll paperwork has been completed by our office
- Review the job listing on our FSU online job site, and complete the application.
- FSU and Amazon will follow up with additional application steps that you will need to complete for the Amazon hiring process
- Amazon will contact you with additional steps as they review your application – they may have you participate in a virtual hiring event as part of the interview/application process.
- You must have an FSU FWS award already on your award offer to be eligible to apply
3. Get Hired
On Campus/Community Service
Once a department has offered you a position, they will need to complete paperwork to get you into the FSU - HR/Payroll system before you are able to begin working. This can take 7-10 business days.
Your department/supervisor will complete your Authorization and initiate paperwork to place you on payroll. You will need to have your Social Security Card and, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, provide your DHS documentation.
Print your Authorization form and take it with you to your interview. If you are offered a position, your employer can start the payroll process.
- In addition to your FWS Authorization form, take the following with you to your interview:
- Social Security card (signed)
- Picture I.D.
- Eligible non-citizens - alien registration card
- If you are a new employee to the FSU Omni payroll or you did not have a FWS job last year, have your employer help you complete the "Employee Forms Wizard" on the Human Resources website.
- Departments also must complete the I-9 Verification process, and in some cases, if a background check is required, a Criminal Background check.
- You will need to turn in your FWS Employment Authorization Form and if you are new to the system, the Employee Wizard Forms to the FSU Office of Financial Aid.
- Documents can be submitted the FSU Dropbox
- If you are hired as part of the Amazon work study program, Amazon will complete your hiring paperwork.
4. Begin Working (Schedule and Timesheets)
Applicable for all categories (On Campus/ Community/ Amazon)
- Set up your schedule around your classes. You cannot work at any time that would conflict with your class schedule. Even if your class is cancelled for the day, you cannot work unless you document to your supervisor and to the Office of Financial Aid, in writing, that the class was cancelled.
- On Campus – On Campus students will be instructed by their department on how to record and enter time for each pay period. Time should always be reported in the pay period worked, and must be submitted before the university deadline for that pay period. Time is not considered approved in the system until the supervisor approves the time for that pay period.
- Off-Campus / Community Service -- Off-Campus/Community Service students will record their time on timesheets and have their Community Service supervisor sign the timesheet. Timesheets must then be submitted to FSU’s Office of Financial Aid Work study office by the deadline set for each pay-period. The Community Service supervisor must also email the FSU Work Study office to confirm the time.
- Submission of Timesheets – scan and send to FA-FWS@fsu.edu through the FSU Dropbox at https://dropbox.fsu.edu/
- Email for confirmation of hours (Community Service supervisor) – send to FA-FWS@fsu.edu
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns regarding the work study program.