FAFSA FSU School Code
When completing the FAFSA you will need to enter FSU's school code.
The FAFSA FSU school code is: 001489.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is available beginning October 1st every year. All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA at their earliest opportunity. A completed FAFSA is the first step to determining your eligibility for most types of federal, state, or institutional aid. These aid types include all types of grants, work study and federal loans. For more information, you can view our Types of Aid page. The FAFSA is free to fill out. Here we provide the key steps in completing the FAFSA, and some resources to assist you:
1. FAFSA Eligibilty Requirements
Before you begin to fill out the FAFSA, check to ensure that you are eligible to receive federal financial aid. Below is a list of requirements that determine whether or not you are able to receive federal aid:
- You must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen. See Federal Student Aid on information on who qualifies as an eligible non-citizen.
- You must have a valid social security number.
- If you are a male of at least 18 years of age, you must be registered with Selective Service.
2. Understanding and Preparing for the FAFSA
There are several steps you must take to ensure you are ready to fill out the FAFSA. Below is a detailed list of everything you may need to have ready to be able to answer the questions on the application:
If you are filling out the FAFSA for the first time, create an FSA ID
An FSA ID is what is used to log in to the Federal Student Aid’s online systems and serves as your legal signature for the FAFSA. If you are a dependent student who is using parental tax information, your parent(s) will also need to create an FSA ID.
Create an FSA ID at the Federal Student Aid Website.
Prepare All Necessary Documents
- Driver's license
- Social security number or Alien Registration number
- Federal Tax Return, W-2, and other records of untaxed income
- The Federal School Code for FSU (001489)
Gather All Required Personal Information
- Permanent address
- Date of Florida residency (if applicable)
- Date you were married/separated/divorced/widowed (if applicable)
- Household size
- Determine if you want to be considered for Federal Work Study
- Dependent students only:
- Parent's marital and residency status
- Highest level of schooling your parent has completed
View Additional Prep Resources
3. Applying for the FAFSA
The FAFSA application is available on October 1st. Completing the FAFSA in a timely manner will help us to determine your financial aid eligibility for the upcoming year. If you have questions about how to complete certain parts of the application, view the resources below
4. Submitting Documents Required for Verification
After we receive your FAFSA application, you may be required to fill out additional verification documents. For more information on the Verification process please see our verification resource page.
If you are selected for verification, we will notify you in the spring term with the documents you will be required to submit. This information will be provided on your To Do List on FSU's student portal (myFSU). All required forms can be found on our forms page. Instructions for submitting forms are located at the top of the forms page.