Applying for Financial Aid
Veteran/military students and students who are veteran/military dependents may qualify for financial assistance through various sources. For information on specific assistance, including Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, contact the FSU Student Veterans Center.
To apply for any federal or state assistance (grants, work study, loans, etc.), students must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application must be completed each year and opens on October 1 for the following academic year (for this year only, the FAFSA will not be available until December 2023). Students should apply early so they can be considered for all types of financial aid that may be available.
The College Scorecard
This U.S. Department of Education website allows users to compare costs, retention rates, etc. between colleges and universities.
FSU Net Price Calculator
Provides Florida State University applicants (undergraduate only) with an estimate of their average costs and financial aid, based on the information they provide.
Cost of Attendance
Florida State University's best estimate of what it will cost you to attend FSU for an academic year (fall and spring semesters). Information is available for undergraduate, graduate, law, and medical students and based on average costs for tuition and fees, books and supplies, housing and food, transportation, and personal expenses.
State of Florida Aid
Some students may qualify for additional aid from the State of Florida through various programs which include:
- Undergraduate Florida residents
- FAFSA not required
- Undergraduate Florida Residents who have a parent or spouse that qualify
- FAFSA not required
- Please note - the Scholarship for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans scholarship is not funded for the summer term.
- Need based supplemental funding to help enrolled students with living expenses during holiday/semester breaks
- FAFSA required
Links to the program fact sheets may be found in the heading of each program above, or for more information, please visit the Florida Office of Student Financial Assistance website or call 1-888-827-2004.
Students who meet the criteria below for an out-of-state tuition waiver must complete the FSU Out-of-State Waiver Request Form each semester.
State and federal law extends out-of-state tuition waivers to students - regardless of their state of residency - who:
- Are honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those who served in the Reserve or National Guard
- Are eligible veteran / military dependents using VA educational benefits (note that once VA educational benefits have exhausted, the dependent student is no longer eligible for the out-of-state tuition waiver)
- Physically reside in Florida during their time in school
The out-of-state tuition waiver also applies to active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces residing or stationed outside of Florida. (Servicemembers stationed or living in Florida must submit a residency declaration.)
For more information, please contact the FSU Student Veterans Center.