The 2017-2018 legislative changes allow Florida Academic Scholars to receive an award amount equal to 100% of tuition and applicable fees at a public postsecondary institution, or comparable at a nonpublic institution to attend classes during the summer 2018 term. http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/PDF/Legislature2017.pdf
Who is eligible:
- Eligible students include 2018 high school graduates who have been admitted for the 2018 summer semester and who have been officially determined by the Florida Department of Education, Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) as a Florida Academic Scholar as well as students who were eligible to receive the Bright Futures Academic Scholarship in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Students must be enrolled for the summer as degree-seeking students.
- Students should review their status on OSFA’s website to verify that FSU is listed as their school of enrollment for Summer 2018.
- Degree seeking students at FSU who will be enrolling as transients at another Florida institution should continue to list FSU, as FSU will be the school that awards and disburses aid.
Which awards: The only award authorized by the State of Florida for summer is the Florida Bright Futures Academic scholarship award (not the Medallion, not the Book, not Top Scholars)
When: 2018 Summer semester
How Much: Like Fall/Spring, the award is expected to be calculated on authorized applicable fees including: activity and service fee, health fee, athletic fee, financial aid fee, capital improvement fee, campus access/transportation fee, technology fee and tuition differential fee
Will my book award disburse for summer 2018?
No, the academic book award is not available for summer 2018.
Will my Top Scholars award disburse for summer 2018?
No, only the Bright Future Academic portion will disburse.
Will my Medallion Award disburse for summer 2018?
No, only the Academic award will disburse for summer.
How many hours do I have to be enrolled in?
You must be enrolled for at least six credit hours for your scholarship to disburse.
Can my academic scholarship disburse if I am enrolled for three credit hours?
The only time we can disburse for less than 6 credits is if you are graduating at the end of the term. You must provide a memo from your department stating you have met graduation requirements and/or documentation from the registrar showing that you have applied for graduation and have completed the grad check process.
How much will my scholarship pay per credit hour?
Per the Florida Legislature "Florida Academic Scholars will receive an award amount equal to 100% of tuition and applicable fees at a public postsecondary institution, or comparable at a nonpublic institution to attend classes during the summer 2018 term." The current rate per credit hour at FSU is $213.55.
Can I use my scholarship for enrollment at a different Florida school?
Yes, but you must be apply for transient enrollment through the Florida Shines process and mark that you plan to use financial aid. You must enroll for 6 credit hours minimum and the amount will be based on the tuition and fees at your host school. Disbursement will not occur until enrollment verification is received from your host school.
When will my Bright Futures Award disburse?
Your Bright Futures Award will disburse after drop/add of the summer term in which you reach six hours of enrollment. If you are paid for six or more hours and subsequently drop classes, you will have to repay Bright Futures for those dropped hours. There will be no early disbursement for summer Bright Futures.
- At least 6 hours in session A/B = award will disburse with first summer disbursement.
If student has also registered for and is disbursed for C session hours, and the student subsequently drops those C session hours, BF will have to be repaid for the dropped credit hours.
- 3 hours in session A/B and 3 or more hours in session C = award will disburse C session
May I receive the Florida Bright Futures Academic scholarship as a graduate student over the summer
Yes. The Bright Futures Academic scholarship will disburse for one term of graduate study for students who qualify. The $300 book award will not disburse over the summer. .
Can I use the scholarship for Study Abroad?
If you are enrolled in at least 6 hours in an FSU or other state of Florida study abroad program (and transfer credit is approved through the Florida Shines Process), you may be eligible for your Bright Futures Academic Scholarship to be paid at the regular tuition rate (213.55 per credit hour).