Verification of Federal Tax Information
FAFSA Update - IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you are selected for verification, we may ask you for various documents. If we ask for documentation of federal tax information for either you or for your parent(s), you have two options. The most accurate and simple option is to update your FAFSA to allow for IRS Data Retrieval of your tax information. This process brings in your completed tax information to your FAFSA application, and an update is sent to the school to complete the verification.
Click here for a short video tutorial on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or follow these instructions
- Sign back in to your FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov two weeks after you have completed your electronic tax (or six weeks after you have submitted a paper tax)
- Indicate that you want to make a correction to your 2012-2013 FAFSA
- Navigate to the Financial Information section
- Change the tax filing status for you or your parent (as applicable) to "Already Completed"
- Review the conditions below that determine eligibility for Data Transfer
- If any of the conditions apply, you may need to instead request an IRS Tax Transcript (see information below)
- If None of the conditions apply, (None of the Above) you can transfer to the IRS website.
- You will put in information to validate your identify and then you can transfer your information to the FAFSA.
- This information can be done for both the parent and the student, as applicable.
Note - if you import federal tax information through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and then change any of the imported information, we may require additional documentation.
IRS Tax Transcript Request Process
If you are not eligible to use this transfer, or if you prefer not to, you will need to request a Tax Transcript from the IRS. Please have the Tax Transcript sent to the filer. The filer should submit a signed copy of the transcript with the Student's name and FSUSN on the top right corner to the Office of Financial Aid.
Per federal regulation we will not be able to accept copies of 2011 Federal 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ forms
- Available on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov
- In the Online Services section of the homepage click “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript”
- Click “Order a Transcript”
- Enter the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Click “Continue”
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2011”.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the on-line request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested online cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter “2011”.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address
- On line 6, enter “2011” to receive IRS tax information for the 2011 tax year that is required for the 2012-2013 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.
last updated Feb 28, 2012